Thursday, March 25, 2010

Some late-night sketching

So last night I decided to sketch again, but to sketch from my own work rather than using other sources. Looking at all of my old photos I was reminded of all the work I had done revolving around hooded figures. There was a need to place a fabric around someone's face in order to represent a power dynamic, an unidentified person, and/or suggested violence. I became intrigued again by the hood, but this time it was the isolated head that became a powerful image...in my mind. The hooded imagery inspires a sense of ambivalence and actively poses questions when the viewer is not given any context. I most likely will not pursue these drawings, but it was refreshing to explore something fairly separate from what I have been invested in, although there are many moments of overlap. Who knows it might come up again!


No comments:

Post a Comment